Testers and graders in this unit group test or grade ingredients and finished food, beverage or associated products to ensure conformance to company standards. They are employed in fruit and vegetable processing plants, dairies, flour mills, bakeries, sugar refineries, fish plants, meat plants, breweries and other food, beverage and associated products processing plants.
product tester – food and beverage processing
tobacco graderView all titles
Testers and graders in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Take samples of products at various stages of processing
- Examine ingredients or finished products by sight, touch, taste and smell or weigh materials to ensure conformance to company standards
- Conduct routine tests for product specifications such as colour, alcohol content, carbonation, moisture content, temperature, fat content and packaging
- Grade or sort raw materials or finished products
- Ensure hygiene and sanitation practices conform to policies and regulations
- Advise supervisors of ingredient or product deficiencies.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Experience as a machine operator or labourer in the food, beverage and associated products processing industry may be required.
- On-the-job training is usually provided.
- There is little mobility among the various types of testers and graders in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Agricultural and fish products inspectors
- Quality control technologists and technicians
2211 Chemical technologists and technicians
- Supervisors, food, beverage and associated products processing
Classification Structure - 9