Sales representatives, wholesale trade (non-technical), sell non-technical goods and services to retail, wholesale, commercial, industrial, professional and other clients domestically and internationally. They are employed by establishments that produce or provide goods and services such as petroleum companies, food, beverage and tobacco producers, clothing manufacturers, motor vehicles and parts manufacturers, hotels, business services firms, and transportation companies. Auctioneers are included in this unit group. Sales representatives, wholesale trade who are supervisors are also included in this unit group.
advertising time sales representative
food products sales representative
freight sales agent
graphic design sales representative
hotel accommodations sales executive
liquor sales representative
magazine sales representative
security services sales consultant
supervisor, wholesale trade representatives
transfer company agentView all titles
Sales representatives, wholesale trade (non-technical), perform some or all of the following duties:
- Promote sales to existing clients
- Identify and solicit potential clients
- Provide clients with presentations on the benefits and uses of goods or services
- Estimate or quote prices, credit or contract terms, warranties and delivery dates
- Prepare or oversee preparation of sales or other contracts
- Consult with clients after sale or signed contracts to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support
- Review and adapt to information regarding product innovations, competitors and market conditions
- Represent companies that export and import products or services to and from foreign countries
- May conduct sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce
- May supervise the activities of other sales representatives.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A university degree or completion of a college or other program may be required.
- Experience in sales or in an occupation related to the product or service is usually required.
- Fluency in a foreign language and/or foreign country work or travel experience may be required for sales representatives seeking employment with companies that import or export goods or services.
- Supervisors and senior sales representatives require experience.
- Voluntary certification is available from the Canadian Professional Sales Association.
- Progression to sales management positions is possible with additional training or experience.
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
- Retail salespersons
- Royalties managers
0512 Managers - publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
- Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade
Classification Structure - 6