Trimmers prepare meat and poultry for further processing, packaging and marketing.
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to remove skin, excess fat, bruises and other blemishes from carcasses and meat portions
- Manual dexterity to use butcher and electric knives
- Objective interest in operating equipment to trim meats and fat from bones
- Methodical interest in comparing information to trim meat into specified shapes
- Directive interest in preparing meat for further processing, packaging and marketing
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
Meat and poultry slaughtering establishments
Processing and packing plants
Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Butchers and Meat Cutters – Retail and Wholesale (6251)
Meat graders (in 9465 Testers and Graders, Food and Beverage Processing)
Meat inspectors (in 2222 Agricultural and Fish Products Inspectors)
Supervisors, meat packing (in 9213 Supervisors, Food, Beverage and Tobacco Processing)
* Environmental Conditions
For some occupations in this group, D
iscomforts D5 (Wetness) may also apply.