Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. Apprentice cooks are included in this group.
short order cook
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to acquire and use techniques for preparing and cooking foods, and to determine size of food portions
- Verbal ability to order supplies
- Numerical ability to estimate food requirements and costs
- Form perception to examine foods for freshness and proper cooking
- Motor co-ordination to cut, decorate and carve food, and to work with kitchen utensils
- Manual dexterity to slice and disjoint meat and poultry, mix ingredients, portion foods, knead and stretch dough, and stir soups and sauces
- Methodical interest in compiling information to monitor food and supplier inventory
- Objective interest in precision working to prepare and cook complete meals and individual dishes and foods, and to prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitians and chefs
- Directive interest in supervising kitchen helpers; and in overseeing subordinate personnel in the preparation, cooking and handling of food
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
H7Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks
completion of college or other program in cooking
several years of commercial cooking experience are required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) is also available to qualified cooks.
Central food commissaries
Construction and logging camp sites
Hospitals and other health care institutions
There is mobility among the various types of cooks in this group.
Progression to supervisory or more senior positions, such as chef, is possible with experience and training.
Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
Food Counter Attendants, Kitchen Helpers and Related Occupations (6641)
Cooks may specialize in preparing and cooking ethnic cuisine or special dishes.