Quick Search - Results
9473 Binding and finishing machine operatorsBinding and finishing machine operators set up, operate or oversee the operation of machines, equipment or computerized units that bind and finish printed material. Workers who perform finishing operations in the paper, carton and packaging industries, as well as those who encode and stamp plastic cards, are included in this unit group. They are employed by binderies, commercial printing companies, newspapers, magazines, and other publishing companies, and establishments in both the public and private sectors that have in-house printing, binding and finishing departments.
Example TitlesCerlox binder operator
binder – printing
binder and finisher
bookbinding machine operator
cutter operator – printing
finishing machine operator – printing
foil stamper – printing
gathering machine set-up operator – printing
gold leaf stamper
laminating machine operator
perforator operator – printing
stitcher operator – printing
View all titles
Binding and finishing machine operators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Set up and operate specialized equipment and machines that cut, fold, gather and bind or finish brochures, pamphlets, business forms, magazines, books and other printed material
- Set up and operate specialized equipment and machines that die cut, emboss, imprint, laminate, heat stamp and perform other finishing operations on printed material
- Perform pre-production runs of binding or finishing jobs to verify output and to ensure that product specifications are met
- Operate automatic and semi-automatic equipment and machines to bind or finish print material according to specifications
- Pack, weigh and stack bound and finished products on pallet for shipment
- May repair and rebind damaged or worn books.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts technology
A combination of on-the-job training and specialized college, industry or other courses is usually required.
- There is some mobility among various types of binding and finishing machine operator occupations in this group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Feeders, loaders, offbearers and similar occupations
9619 Other labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities
- Hand bookbinders
5244 Artisans and craftspersons
- Printing press operators
- Supervisors, printing and related occupations
Classification Structure - 9