Quick Search - Results
Fishing vessel deckhands perform a variety of manual tasks on commercial fishing voyages, and maintain fishing vessels. They are employed by establishments that operate commercial fishing vessels and by self-employed fishermen/women.
crewman/woman, fishing vessel
fishing vessel deckhand
icer, fishing vessel
netmender, fishing vessel
trawlerman/womanView all titles
Fishing vessel deckhands perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare nets, lines and other fishing tackle, and operate fishing gear to catch fish and other marine life
- Clean, sort and pack fish in ice and stow catch in hold
- Repair nets, splice ropes and maintain fishing gear and other deck equipment
- Clean deck surfaces and fish hold
- Handle mooring lines during docking
- May steer vessels to and from fishing areas
- May prepare and cook meals for crew members.
- There are no specific educational requirements.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Trawlermen/women require at least one year of experience.
- Fishing vessel deckhands require a commercial fishing licence.
- Fishing vessel deckhands may become skippers upon acquiring an entry licence and a boat.
- Fishing vessel deckhands may progress to watchkeeper or mate positions with additional training.
- Deck officers, water transport
- Fishing masters and officers
Classification Structure - 8