Quick Search - Results
This unit group includes workers who handle, move, load and unload materials by hand or using a variety of material handling equipment. They are employed by transportation, storage and moving companies, and by a variety of manufacturing and processing companies and retail and wholesale warehouses.
conveyor console operator
forklift truck operator
freight handler (except air transport)
lumber piler – building supplies
railway car loader
storage worker – material handling
warehouseman/womanView all titles
Material handlers (manual) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Load, unload and move products and materials by hand or using basic material handling equipment
- Move household appliances and furniture onto and off moving trucks or vans
- Perform other material handling activities such as counting, weighing, sorting, packing and unpacking.
Material handlers (equipment operators) perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate winches and other loading devices to load and unload materials onto and off trucks, railway cars and loading docks of warehouses and industrial establishments
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors, loaders and other equipment to transport materials to and from transportation vehicles and loading docks and to store and retrieve materials in warehouses
- Connect hoses or pipes and operate equipment to load and unload liquid petroleum, chemical or other products into or from tank cars, tank trucks or storage tanks
- Operate equipment to dump materials such as coal, ore and grain into or to remove materials from railway cars, trucks or other vehicles
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles to elevators, bins or other storage areas
- May perform other activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory and weighing and checking materials.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- Physical strength is required for manual material handlers who work with heavy materials.
- Freight attendants
7534 Air transport ramp attendants
- Heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- Longshore workers
- Mover helpers
7622 Railway and motor transport labourers
- Storekeepers and partspersons
- Supervisors of material handlers
7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
- Warehouse supervisors
1215 Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling co-ordination occupations
Classification Structure - 7