Quick Search - Results
7271 CarpentersCarpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
Example Titlesapprentice carpenter
metal framer – carpentry
View all titles
Carpenters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements
- Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
- Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
- Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures in mills, mines, hospitals, industrial plants and other establishments
- Supervise apprentices and other construction workers
- May prepare cost estimates for clients.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in carpentry is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for carpenters is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Trade certification for framers is available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified carpenters upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Supervisors of carpenters
7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
- Woodworking machine operators
Classification Structure - 7