Quick Search - Results
3234 Paramedical occupationsThis unit group includes workers who administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. They are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies and other private sector establishments. Paramedics who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
Example Titlesadvanced care paramedic
critical care paramedic
emergency medical attendant (EMA)
emergency medical technician (EMT)
emergency medical technician, paramedic
emergency medical technologist – paramedic (EMT-P)
primary care paramedic
supervisor, ambulance services
View all titles
Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assess extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims, patients with respiratory disease and stress, overdose and poisoning victims, industrial accident victims and other ill or injured individuals to determine emergency medical treatment
- Administer pre-hospital emergency care to patients such as oxygen therapy, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), spinal immobilization, bandaging and splinting
- Establish and maintain intravenous treatment (IV), apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications, administer medications and provide other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Transport patients by air, land or water to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care
- Collaborate with ambulance dispatch centres, hospital staff, police, firefighters and family members to ensure relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered
- Document and record nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies
- May train and supervise other workers in this unit group
- May assist with triage of emergency patients.
- Completion of a one- to three-year college, hospital-based or other recognized paramedical or emergency medical technology program is required.
- Licensing by a regulatory body is required in all provinces.
- Those operating emergency vehicles require an appropriate class of licence.
- Emergency medical responders
3413 Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- Other assisting occupations in support of health services
Classification Structure - 3