Aircraft assemblers assemble, fit and install prefabricated parts to manufacture fixed wing or rotary wing aircraft or aircraft subassemblies. Aircraft assembly inspectors inspect aircraft assemblies for adherence to engineering specifications. They are employed by aircraft and aircraft subassembly manufacturers.
aircraft inspector, assembly
bench and structural assembler
bench fitter mechanic – aircraft assembly
rigger – aircraft assembly
wing tank mechanic – aircraft assemblyView all titles
Aircraft assemblers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret aircraft assembly diagrams
- Assemble and fit pre-fabricated parts to form subassemblies, working at benches or directly on an aircraft structure
- Assemble, fit and install pre-fabricated parts and subassemblies such as aircraft skins, flight controls, rigging, hydraulics and other mechanical systems.
Aircraft assembly inspectors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Inspect aircraft assemblies, using measuring and testing equipment, for adherence to engineering specifications
- Inspect assemblies for alignment, symmetry, dimensions, fit and quality of workmanship
- Complete detailed inspection documentation.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college or other program in aviation or aeronautical technology, with emphasis in aircraft manufacturing, may be required.
- Aircraft assemblers receive several months of on-the-job and classroom training.
- Aircraft assembly inspectors require experience as an aircraft assembler.
- Aircraft assemblers and assembly inspectors may progress to supervisory positions with experience.
- Aircraft engine assemblers
7316 Machine fitters
- Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
- Aircraft painters
9536 Industrial painters, coaters and metal finishing process operators
- Avionics and aircraft electronic equipment installers
2244 Aircraft instrument, electrical and avionics mechanics, technicians and inspectors
- Supervisors of aircraft assemblers or inspectors
9226 Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturing
Classification Structure - 9