Railway and motor transport labourers perform a variety of tasks to assist track maintenance workers and railway yard workers, or motor transport operators. They are employed by railway transport companies and motor transport companies.
car checker, railway
delivery truck helper
furniture mover helper
signal gang helper
swamper – truck transport
truck driver helperView all titles
Railway labourers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Transport tools and equipment on push or hand car and perform other duties to assist railway track maintenance workers to lay, maintain and repair railway tracks
- Cut vegetation growth from railway tracks using scythes and mowers
- Check freight cars for physical damage and cleanliness.
Motor transport labourers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist truck and delivery drivers to load and unload vehicles
- Perform labouring duties in warehouses.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- With experience, railway labourers may progress to railway track maintenance workers or railway yard workers.
- Material handlers
- Rail car oilers and greasers
7531 Railway yard and track maintenance workers
Classification Structure - 7