7361 Railway and yard locomotive engineersRailway locomotive engineers operate railway locomotives to transport passengers and freight. They are employed by railway transport companies. Yard locomotive engineers operate locomotives within yards of railway, industrial or other establishments. They are employed by railway transport companies and industrial or commercial users of rail transport.
Example Titleslocomotive engineer – railway
switch engineer – railway
transfer hostler – railway
yard engineer – railway
View all titles
Railway locomotive engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate locomotives to transport passengers and freight on railways
- Operate communication systems to communicate with train crews and traffic controllers to ensure safe operation and scheduling of trains
- Inspect assigned locomotives and test operating controls and equipment.
Yard locomotive engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate locomotives to switch, couple and uncouple cars for loading and unloading
- Perform switching operations according to written switching orders or dispatched instructions
- Inspect locomotives, replenish fuel or perform routine maintenance on locomotives.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a conductor is required for railway locomotive engineers and may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Experience as a railway yard worker may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Railway locomotive engineers require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- Mobility between railway transport companies or between establishments employing locomotive engineers may be limited due to seniority provisions of collective agreements.
- Subway and light rail transit operators
7512 Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators
- Supervisors, railway transport operations
- Train dispatchers
2275 Railway traffic controllers and marine traffic regulators
Classification Structure - 7