7331 Oil and solid fuel heating mechanicsOil and solid fuel heating mechanics install and maintain oil, coal and wood heating systems in residential and commercial buildings. They are employed by heating systems installation and service companies.
Example Titlesfurnace installer and repairer (except gas)
heating service mechanic
heating systems technician
oil burner installer
oil burner mechanic
oil burner mechanic apprentice
wood burner installer
View all titles
Oil and solid fuel heating mechanics perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret drawings or specifications to determine work to be performed
- Lay out oil burner heating system components and assemble components using hand and power tools
- Install oil burner components such as thermostats, motors, piping and safety devices, and connect to fuel supply, ventilation and electrical system
- Test installed unit and adjust controls for proper functioning
- Troubleshoot and repair malfunctioning oil burners, and their components and controls
- Install, maintain and repair coal and wood heating systems
- Perform scheduled maintenance service on oil and solid fuel heating systems.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in heating systems installation and repair is usually required for trade certification.
- Oil heat system technician trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified oil heat system technicians upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Gas fitters
- Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
- Supervisors of oil and solid fuel heating mechanics
7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
Classification Structure - 7