7253 Gas fittersGas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators and heating units in residential, commercial and industrial establishments. They are employed by gas utility companies and gas servicing companies.
Example Titlesgas fitter
gas fitter apprentice
industrial gas fitter-tester
View all titles
Gas fitters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Study drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the installation and materials required
- Measure and mark reference points for installation of gas lines and equipment
- Install and maintain gas meters and regulators and gas lines between gas unit and gas meter
- Install, maintain and service gas heating units and their components, such as burners, valves and automatic controls
- Test and replace defective equipment or components
- Test and adjust control mechanisms and check pipes and piping connections for gas leaks using gas detecting devices
- Attend to gas escape calls and assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- Prepare reports on work performed and condition of facilities
- Advise clients regarding standards, safety features and maintenance of gas units and systems
- Convert motor vehicles or appliances to use natural gas fuels
- May repair and service gas appliances and related equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- or three-year gas fitter apprenticeship program
Several years of work experience in a pipefitting trade and completion of a high school, college or industry gas fitter program are required.
- Gas fitter trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- A provincial gas fitter licence is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Appliance servicers and repairers
- Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
- Supervisors of gas fitters
7203 Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting trades
Classification Structure - 7