This unit group includes workers who sell goods or services during home demonstrations or by telephone soliciting, retail exhibitions or street vending. They are employed by a wide range of retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturers, telemarketing companies and call centres, or they may be self-employed.
canvasser – retail
demonstrator – retail
direct distributor – retail
home demonstrator – retail
telephone solicitorView all titles
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Direct distributors, contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
- Door-to-door salespersons solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
- Street vendors set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
- Telephone solicitors and telemarketers contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services or conduct market surveys.
- Demonstrators arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
- Some secondary school education is usually required. High school graduation may be required by some employers.
- Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant's permit.
- Progression to related supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.
- Kiosk sales clerks
6421 Retail salespersons
- Retail and wholesale trade managers
- Retail sales supervisors
Classification Structure - 6