This unit group includes dancers and dance teachers. Dancers are employed by ballet and dance companies, television and film productions and night clubs and similar establishments. Dance teachers are employed by dance academies and dance schools.
ballroom dancing teacher
tap dancerView all titles
Dancers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Practise and rehearse dance routines under direction or instruction to achieve desired interpretation and presentation
- Perform dances as soloists or as members of groups before live audiences or for film or television
- Train and exercise to maintain the required levels of ability and fitness
- May choreograph their own performances.
Dance teachers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Teach dance technique and artistic interpretation to amateur and professional individuals and groups
- Teach the techniques, cultural origins and symbolic meanings of Aboriginal, ethnic and folkloric dances
- Teach recreational dancing lessons such as ballroom dancing
Dancers may specialize in specific types of dance such as ballet, ballroom, folk, jazz or modern.
- Prepare dance students for specific auditions and performances.
- A university degree or college diploma in dance
Graduation from a private dance school or academy may be required.
- Talent and ability, as demonstrated during an audition, are important hiring criteria.
- Dance teachers usually require experience as dancers.
- Membership in a guild or union related to the occupation or type of performance may be required.
5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- Other performers, n.e.c.
Classification Structure - 5