Technicians in this group provide first-line technical support to computer users experiencing difficulties with computer hardware and with computer applications and communications software. They are employed by computer hardware manufacturers and retailers, software developers, in call centres and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Technicians in this group are also employed by independent technical support companies or they may be self-employed.
call centre agent – technical support
client support representative – systems
computer help desk representative – systems
computer help desk supervisor
hardware installation technician
hardware technical support analyst
help desk technician
software installation technician
software technical support analyst
systems support representative
technical support analyst – systems
technical support supervisor
user support technicianView all titles
User support technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Communicate electronically and in person with computer users experiencing difficulties to determine and document problems experienced
- Consult user guides, technical manuals and other documents to research and implement solutions
- Emulate or reproduce technical problems encountered by users
- Provide advice and training to users in response to identified difficulties
- Provide business systems, network and Internet support to users in response to identified difficulties
- Collect, organize and maintain a problems and solutions log for use by other technical support analysts
- Participate in the redesign of applications and other software
- May supervise other technical support workers in this group.
- Completion of a college program in computer science, computer programming or network administration is usually required.
- College or other courses in computer programming or network administration are usually required.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
- Progression to computer programming, interactive media development, Web development or systems analysis is possible with experience.
- Computer network technicians
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- Information systems analysts and consultants
- Information systems testing technicians
Classification Structure - 2