Library assistants and clerks issue and receive library materials, sort and shelve books and provide general library information to users. They also perform clerical functions. Library clerks are employed by libraries or other establishments with library services.
circulation clerk – library
interlibrary loan clerk
shelving clerk – libraryView all titles
Library assistants and clerks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Issue and receive library books and other materials
- Sort and reshelve books and other library materials
- Perform clerical activities such as manual and electronic filing and record payments received
- Maintain journal subscriptions
- Assist library users in accessing library materials and online resources, and in making interlibrary loans.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Progression to more senior positions is possible with experience and post-secondary education related to library science.
- Library technicians
5211 Library and public archive technicians
- Supervisors, library, correspondence and related information workers
Classification Structure - 1