Court reporters record and transcribe verbatim the proceedings of courts, legislative assemblies and committees, and prepare transcripts for use by judges, tribunals and quasi-judicial panels. They are employed by courts of law, provincial and federal legislative assemblies and committees, or they may be self-employed. Medical transcriptionists record, transcribe and edit dictation by physicians and other health care providers, surgical proceedings, health-related reports and other medical documentation. They are employed by hospitals, medical clinics and doctors' offices, or they may be self-employed. Closed captioners and other transcriptionists are included in this unit group.
transcriptionistView all titles
Court reporters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Record verbatim proceedings of courtroom using electronic stenograph machine or stenomask
- Respond to requests during court sessions to read back verbatim evidence
- Transcribe recorded proceedings in accordance with established formats
- Verify accuracy of transcripts by checking copy against original record of proceedings and accuracy of rulings by checking with judge
- Research and locate quotes to ensure accuracy
- Respond to requests for transcripts ordered by judges, lawyers or the public
- File and store shorthand notes of court session.
Medical transcriptionists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Transcribe recorded dictation in accordance with established formats or written documentation from medical reports, correspondence, health records and patient information
- Proofread work for typographical and grammatical errors.
- Edit transcripts for missing or incorrect content and formatting
- Court reporters require completion of secondary school and usually require completion of a college or other program in court reporting. They may also require the Chartered Shorthand Reporter (CSR) certificate.
- Medical transcriptionists require completion of secondary school and usually require completion of a recognized medical transcription program. They may also require the Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) certificate.
- There is some mobility between occupations in this unit group and other occupations requiring similar knowledge of legal or medical terminology, such as legal or medical administrative positions.
- Legal administrative assistants
- Medical administrative assistants
Classification Structure - 1