0211 Engineering managersEngineering managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of an engineering department, service or firm. They are employed by a wide range of private sector and government establishments and by consulting engineering and scientific research companies.
Example Titlesdirector, engineering research and development
electrical engineering service manager
engineering department manager
manager, telecommunications engineering service
production engineering manager
View all titles
Engineering managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities and operations of an engineering department, service or firm
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm
- Consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, explain proposals and present engineering reports and findings
- Assign, co-ordinate and review the technical work of the department or project teams
- Recruit personnel and oversee development and maintenance of staff competence in required areas
- May participate directly in the design, development and inspection of technical projects or in the engineering work of the department.
- A bachelor's degree in engineering is usually required.
- Extensive experience in an engineering discipline, including supervisory experience, is required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is usually required.
- Mobility to other technical managerial positions, or to research or senior management positions is possible with experience.
- Architecture and science managers
- Computer and information systems managers
- Construction managers
- Engineers and supervisors of engineers
21 Professional occupations in natural and applied sciences
- Managers in transportation
- Manufacturing managers
- Utilities managers
Classification Structure - 0