9217 Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturingSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers engaged in textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing. They are employed by textile manufacturing companies, tanneries and other manufacturers of fabric, fur and leather products.
Example Titlesboot and shoe foreman/woman
canvas products manufacturing foreman/woman
cutting department foreman/woman, fabric
dye room supervisor
embroidery supervisor – fabric products
finishing supervisor – textiles
foreman/woman – textile processing
fur dressing foreman/woman
hat and cap makers foreman/woman
sample room foreman/woman, leather products
sewing machine operators supervisor
stitching department supervisor
View all titles
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of production workers who operate machines to process natural, synthetic and hybrid textile fibre, yarn and thread; bleach, dye and finish textiles; operate manufacturing machines to cut, stitch and produce fabric, fur or leather garments and other products; and inspect textiles products
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Post-secondary education in textile technology or a related field may be required for some positions in this group.
- Several years of experience as a worker in the unit group being supervised are usually required.
- Experience may be required in a specific process, or with a specific product or type of equipment.
- There is some mobility among supervisory positions in this group.
- Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.
- Machine operators and related workers in textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing
- Master dyers and textile colour technologists
2211 Chemical technologists and technicians
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners
- Technologists and technicians in textile manufacturing
2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
- Textile machinery mechanics
7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
Classification Structure - 9