9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilitiesSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Process Operators (9232), Power Engineers and Power Systems Operators (9241), Water and Waste Treatment Plant Operators (9243), Chemical Plant Machine Operators (9421) and Labourers in Chemical Products Processing and Utilities (9613). They are employed by petroleum and natural gas processing, pipeline and petrochemical companies, chemical and pharmaceutical companies, electric power utilities, water and waste treatment utilities and in a range of other industries and institutions.
Example Titleschemical processing supervisor
foreman/woman, cosmetics processing
foreman/woman, natural gas plant
foreman/woman, water purification plant
paint processing foreman/woman
production supervisor, pharmaceuticals
production supervisor, specialty chemicals
steam engineer leader
supervisor, petroleum refining
supervisor, pipeline operation
supervisor, power station
supervisor, sewage treatment plant
View all titles
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate petroleum refineries, chemical plants, water and waste treatment plants and equipment, pipelines, heating plants and power stations and systems
- Identify, investigate, correct and document potential environmental and safety problems
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Provide information for maintenance plans to ensure that maintenance and production objectives are met
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports and develop and manage operating budget for area of responsibility
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of trades workers, labourers or other workers.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Post-secondary education in chemical processing or sciences may be required for some occupations in this unit group.
- Several years of experience as a senior operator in the same company or plant are usually required.
- Some occupations in this unit group may require a specific licence or certification, such as a stationary engineer`s licence or refrigeration certification.
- Solid waste, landfill or compost facility operator certification may be required.
- There is some mobility between occupations with similar technological or licensing requirements within this group.
- Supervisors of telecommunications workers, power utility electricians and power line workers
7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
Classification Structure - 9