9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processingSupervisors, mineral and metal processing, supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following groups: Central Control and Process Operators, Mineral and Metal Processing (9231), Machine Operators and Related Workers in Metal and Mineral Products Processing and Manufacturing (941) and Labourers in Mineral and Metal Processing (9611). They are employed in mineral ore and metal processing plants such as copper, lead and zinc refineries, uranium processing plants, steel mills, aluminum plants, precious metal refineries, cement processing plants, clay, glass and stone processing plants and foundries.
Example Titlesblast furnace foreman/woman
brick and tile foreman/woman
cement processing supervisor
coremaking foreman/woman – foundry
die casting supervisor
foreman/woman, lead refining
lime preparation foreman/woman
melting and roasting department supervisor
ore milling supervisor
roll shop operations coach – steel mill
shift co-ordinator, steel mill
supervisor, glass cutters
View all titles
Supervisors, mineral and metal processing, perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers engaged in the following duties: operating single or multi-function mineral and metal processing machinery and equipment; operating mouldmaking and coremaking machines or manually make moulds and cores; operating glass process control, forming and finishing machines; operating concrete, clay and stone forming and finishing machines; and operating cement process control machines and equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Post-secondary education in metallurgy, sciences or a related field may be required for some occupations in this unit group.
- Several years of experience as a worker in the unit or department being supervised are usually required.
- Supervisors, mining and quarrying
- Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturing
Classification Structure - 9