8262 Fishermen/womenFishermen/women operate fishing vessels to pursue and land fish and other marine life. They are usually self-employed owner-operators of fishing vessels.
fishing vessel skipper
View all titles
Fishermen/women perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate fishing vessel to pursue and catch fish and other marine life
- Select area for fishing, plot courses and compute navigational positions using compasses and charts or electronic fishing aids
- Steer vessel and operate navigational instruments
- Operate fishing gear, direct fishing operation and supervise fishing crew members
- Maintain engine, fishing gear and other on-board equipment
- Record fishing activities, weather and sea conditions
- Estimate costs of operations and plan budget for each fishing season
- Establish fish marketing plan and keep records of all financial transactions
- May transport fish to processing plants or fish buyers.
- Several years of experience as fishing vessel crew member or helper are usually required.
- A commercial fishing licence is required.
- Licences are required for each species of fish pursued.
- Trade certification for fish harvesters is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Progression to master or mate on fishing vessels over 100 gross tonnes is possible with additional training, licensing and experience.
- Fishing masters and officers
- Fishing vessel deckhands
Classification Structure - 8