Agricultural service contractors, who own and operate their own businesses, provide agricultural services such as livestock and poultry breeding, soil preparation, crop planting, crop spraying, cultivating or harvesting. Farm supervisors supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers. Specialized livestock workers carry out feeding, health and breeding programs on dairy, beef, sheep, poultry, hog and other livestock farms.
contractor, artificial insemination service
contractor, crop harvesting service
crop dusting contractor
hog operation supervisor
livestock breeding service contractor
pork production technician
poultry farm foreman/woman
vegetable farm foreman/womanView all titles
Agricultural service contractors perform some or all the following duties:
- Provide agricultural livestock services such as artificial insemination, spraying or shearing of livestock or disinfecting pens, barns or poultry houses
- Provide agricultural crop services such as plowing, irrigating, cultivating, spraying or harvesting
- Assist in the development and implementation of farm safety and bio-security procedures
- Negotiate the terms of services to be provided
- Maintain financial and operational records
- May participate in the provision of services or in the operation of machinery and equipment.
Farm supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Co-ordinate and supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers
- Supervise and oversee breeding and other livestock-related programs
- Supervise and oversee growing and other crop-related operations
- Develop work schedules and establish procedures
- Ensure farm safety and bio-security procedures are followed
- Maintain quality control and production records
- May perform general farm duties.
Specialized livestock workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Formulate feeding programs
- Implement pasture or pen breeding programs
- Follow safety and bio-security procedures
- Recognize and treat certain livestock health problems
- Maintain livestock performance records
- Select livestock for sale
- Perform general farm duties
Farm supervisors may specialize in areas such as dairy, poultry, swine, beef, sheep, equine, fruit, vegetable, mixed or other specialty farming.Specialized livestock workers usually specialize in one type of farm animal such as beef cattle, dairy cattle, poultry or swine.
- May supervise general farm workers.
- Agricultural service contractors usually require a university degree, college diploma or industry courses in agricultural studies and several years of experience related to the service offered.
- Contractors providing certain services, such as artificial insemination and pesticide application, may require training certificates and provincial licensing.
- Farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers may require a college certificate or other specialized training in agriculture or livestock husbandry.
- A course or certificate in first aid may be required.
- General farm workers
- Harvesting labourers
- Managers in agriculture
- Managers in horticulture
- Pest controllers and fumigators
- Pet groomers and animal care workers
Classification Structure - 8