7335 Other small engine and small equipment repairersWorkers in this unit group test, repair and service small gasoline and diesel-powered engines and equipment, such as garden tractors, outboard motors, lawn mowers and other related equipment. They are employed by dealer service shops and by independent service establishments.
Example Titlesair-cooled engine mechanic
lawn and garden equipment technician
lawn mower repairer, gasoline powered
small engine technician
small equipment mechanic apprentice
small equipment repairer
View all titles
Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review work orders and discuss work to be performed with supervisor
- Inspect and test engines and other mechanical components using test devices to diagnose and isolate faults
- Adjust, repair or replace mechanical or electrical system parts and components using hand tools and equipment
- Test and adjust repaired equipment for proper performance
- Perform scheduled maintenance service on equipment
- Advise customers on work performed and general condition of equipment
- Determine estimates of repair cost.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program in small engine or equipment repair
A combination of several years of work experience in the trade and some high school or college courses in small engine or equipment repair are usually required for trade certification.
- Small engine or equipment mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario and Nunavut.
- Inboard/outboard mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Outdoor power equipment technician trade certification, for specified types of equipment, is available, but voluntary, in Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Appliance servicers and repairers
- Motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and other related mechanics
- Supervisors of small engine and equipment mechanics
7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
Classification Structure - 7