Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate activities of truck drivers, bus drivers, delivery drivers, subway and other transit operators, chauffeurs and taxi and limousine drivers. This unit group also includes bus dispatchers who co-ordinate the activities of transit system bus drivers and subway traffic controllers who operate and monitor signal and track switch control panels. They are employed by motor transportation and ground transit companies and by urban transit systems.
foreman/woman, truck drivers
foreman/woman, urban transit system
mobile inspector, transit
subway traffic controller
supervisor, light rail transit (LRT) operators
supervisor, school bus drivers
supervisor, subway operatorsView all titles
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trucks, buses, subway trains, light rail transit, street cars, taxis and other transport vehicles
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Dispatch bus drivers and monitor routes to ensure schedules are met and to resolve operating problems
- Monitor and operate signal and track switch control panel of subway systems
- Prepare work reports and budgets, and monitor expenditures.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a driver or operator of motor transport or ground transit equipment are usually required.
- There is little mobility between occupations in the different transportation sectors of this unit group.
- Supervisors, railway transport operations
- Train dispatchers
2275 Railway traffic controllers and marine traffic regulators
- Truck transport and taxi dispatchers
Classification Structure - 7