7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crewsThis unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Crane Operators (7371), Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction (7372), Water Well Drillers (7373), Longshore Workers (7451), Material Handlers (7452), Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane) (7521), Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators and Related Workers (7522), Railway Yard and Track Maintenance Workers (7531), and Public Works and Maintenance Labourers (7621). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
Example Titlesexcavating contractor
foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction
foreman/woman, logging road construction
foreman/woman, railway gang
foreman/woman, railway track maintenance
pipeline construction supervisor
road maintenance foreman/woman
section foreman/woman, railway
supervisor, heavy equipment operators
supervisor, oil field construction
supervisor, water well drilling
track foreman/woman – railway
View all titles
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience in the occupation supervised is required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade may be required.
- There is some mobility between occupations classified in this unit group.
- Supervisors of heavy equipment mechanics
7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
- Supervisors of logging machinery operators
8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
Classification Structure - 7