Telecommunications line and cable workers install, repair and maintain telecommunication lines and cables. They are employed by cable television companies and by telephone and other telecommunications services.
apprentice lineman/woman – telecommunications
cable repairer, telecommunications
communication technician – construction
construction technician – cable television
splicer technician – telephone
telecommunications line installer
telephone line technicianView all titles
Telecommunications line and cable workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install, remove, maintain and repair aerial and underground telephone and other telecommunication transmission and distribution lines, cables and associated hardware
- Install (but do not repair or maintain) cable television lines and cables
- Splice and repair various types and sizes of telephone and other telecommunication cables including single line, coaxial and fibre optic
- Inspect and test telecommunication transmission lines and cables for transmission characteristics and to locate faults
- Analyze and record test results
- Climb and work aloft on poles, ladders or other support structures or work in confined spaces such as trenches, tunnels and crawl spaces
- Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments
- Assist in the erection and removal of telecommunication poles, towers and associated support structures
- May operate excavation machinery and other heavy equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a four-year telecommunications line and cable apprenticeship program
A combination of over three years work experience in the trade and some industry- related or other specialized courses
Completion of a two-year college program in electronics is usually required.
- Trade certification for communications electrician (construction craft) is available, but voluntary, in Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Cable television service and maintenance technicians
- Electrical power line and cable workers
- Supervisors of telecommunications line and cable workers
7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
- Telecommunications installation and repair workers
Classification Structure - 7