7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupationsThis unit group includes telecommunications and electrical trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Electricians (7241), Industrial Electricians (7242), Power System Electricians (7243), Electrical Power Line and Cable Workers (7244), Telecommunications Line and Cable Workers (7245), Telecommunications Installation and Repair Workers (7246) and Cable Television Service and Maintenance Technicians (7247). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
Example Titleselectrical contractor
foreman/woman, cablevision technicians
foreman/woman, construction electricians
foreman/woman, industrial electricians
foreman/woman, power line and cable workers
foreman/woman, power system electricians
foreman/woman, telecommunications installation and repair workers
supervisor, cable maintenance and repair
supervisor, plant electricians
supervisor, residential electricians
View all titles
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who install, repair and maintain electrical wiring, fixtures and control devices, power systems, telecommunication systems and cablevision systems
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments or subcontractors
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare work progress reports
- May manage the operations of their own companies
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a qualified tradesperson in a relevant trade are required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade is required.
- There is some mobility between jobs within a specific trade; however, there is little or no intertrade mobility.
- Foreman/woman of electrical mechanics
7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
Classification Structure - 7