5251 AthletesAthletes participate in competitive sports events on an amateur or professional basis. They play team sports such as hockey, baseball, football and lacrosse; or compete in individual sports such as skiing, figure skating, boxing or track and field; or in games such as poker or chess. Athletes are employed by professional team organizations or they may be self-employed. This unit group also includes competitors such as chess players and poker players.
harness race driver
View all titles
Athletes perform some or all of the following duties:
- Train under the direction of a coach or trainer to qualify for competition
- Attend scheduled practice and training sessions
- Participate in local, regional, provincial, national or international competitions and sporting events
- Assess performance after an event to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Demonstrated ability in a particular sport, or type of game, is required.
- Extensive training under the supervision of a coach is required.
- Certification with a particular sports federation may be required.
- A background combining athletic training and college or university studies is strongly recommended.
- Sports instructors
5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
- Sports officials and referees
Classification Structure - 5