5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing artsThis unit group includes workers who perform support duties related to broadcasting and to the production of motion pictures and the performing arts. They are employed by television and radio stations and networks, recording studios, motion picture and video production companies and by theatre and stage companies. This unit group also includes projectionists employed by movie theatres.
Example Titlesboom grip
camera crane operator
dresser – motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts
special effects assistant
View all titles
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Camera crane operators set up, assemble, adjust, maintain and replace reels and projector equipment; detect and repair mechanical and electrical problems; and change and install an electronic control panel using automated equipment.
- Production assistants provide support to the director and producer, and are responsible for various aspects of production such as preparing schedules, setting up equipment, and making travel arrangements to various shooting locations.
- Motion picture projectionists check the condition of the copy; set up and load film reels on movie theatre projection systems, adjust focus, sound levels and other projector and theatre settings; and maintain projection equipment.
- Props persons and set builders assemble, repair, place, build and oversee props.
- Script assistants distribute scripts to actors; keep detailed notes of all actions, positions and camera angles; and photograph and date scenes.
- Grips and riggers rig, place, move and dismantle sets, backdrops, scenery and other stage equipment.
- Dressers clean, maintain, transport and store costumes, and assist performers to dress in costumes.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Most occupations in this unit group require completion of college courses in broadcasting, theatre arts or a related field
A period of on-the-job training.
- Certification for projectionists is available, but voluntary, in New Brunswick. In Quebec, projectionists are regulated under operators of electrical machines, cinema equipment.
- Projectionists are required to be licensed by their province of employment.
- There may be an overlap in duties among occupations in this unit group, depending on the size of the production or broadcasting studio.
- Progression to related technical occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting or the performing arts is possible with additional training or experience.
- Audio and video recording technicians
- Broadcast technicians
- Film and video camera operators
- Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
Classification Structure - 5