5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artistsPainters, sculptors and other visual artists create original paintings, drawings, sculptures, engravings and other artistic works. They are usually self-employed. This group also includes art instructors and teachers, who are usually employed by art schools.
Example Titlesart teacher (except primary, secondary and post-secondary education)
View all titles
Painters, sculptors and other visual artists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Painters create drawings, paintings and other artwork using oils, pastels, watercolours, charcoal, ink and other media.
- Sculptors create sculptures, statues and other three-dimensional artwork by shaping, carving and working with materials such as clay, ice, paper, stone, wood or metal.
- Art instructors and teachers teach students the techniques and methods of drawing, painting, sculpting and other forms of artistic expression.
- Creative ability and talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of the safe use of materials, tools and equipment are required. Art programs are offered at universities, colleges and private art schools.
- A college diploma in fine arts techniques may be required.
- Art instructors and teachers may be required to have a university degree or college diploma in a field related to art.
- Artisans and craftspersons
- Art teachers (in 4011, 4021, 4031, 4032 – university, post-secondary, secondary and elementary education)
5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- Graphic designers and illustrators
Classification Structure - 5