Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants conduct research, formulate policies and manage programs to stimulate industrial and commercial business investment or tourism in urban and rural areas, or to promote commercial or industrial products and services. They are employed by government departments, international organizations, marketing firms and business associations or may be self-employed.
business development officer
community economic development consultant
economic development officer
industrial development officer
marketing consultant – market research
regional development analyst
tourism development officer
tourism industry consultantView all titles
Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop policies and administer programs to promote industrial and commercial business investment in urban and rural areas
- Design market research questionnaires
- Conduct social or economic surveys on local, regional or national areas to assess development potential and future trends
- Plan development projects and co-ordinate activities with representatives of a wide variety of industrial and commercial enterprises, community and business associations and government agencies
- Assess business opportunities and develop strategies to attract venture capital
- Respond to enquiries from members of the business community and general public concerning development opportunities
- Review and evaluate commercial or industrial development proposals and provide advice on procedures and requirements for government approval
- Conduct surveys and analyze data on the buying habits and preferences of wholesale or retail consumers
- Evaluate customer service and store environments
- Conduct comparative research on marketing strategies for industrial and commercial products
- Develop social and economic profiles of urban and rural areas to encourage industrial and commercial investment and development.
- Prepare reports, research papers, educational texts or articles
- Plan and develop E-commerce strategies
- Provide consultation on planning and starting of new businesses.
- A bachelor's degree in economics, commerce, business administration or public administration is required.
- Certification as a certified economic developer (Ec.D.) may be required.
- Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.
- Economic development managers
0412 Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration
- Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts
- Financial and investment analysts
- International development or aid officers
4164 Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers
- Marketing managers
0124 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
- Other financial officers
- Urban and land use planners
Classification Structure - 4