University professors and lecturers teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities. University professors who are heads of departments are included in this unit group.
English professor – university
French language professor – university
assistant professor, botany – university
associate professor, linguistics
chairperson, food sciences department – university
chairperson, physics department – university
computer science professor – university
department head, geography – university
lecturer – university
professor of medicine – university
university instructor, engineering
university professorView all titles
University professors and lecturers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Teach one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students
- Prepare and deliver lectures to students and conduct laboratory sessions or discussion groups
- Prepare, administer and grade examinations, laboratory assignments and reports
- Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
- Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
- Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
- May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
- May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
University professors and lecturers specialize in a particular subject matter such as biology, chemistry, anatomy, sociology, business administration or law.
- May provide professional consultative services to government, industry and private individuals.
- A doctoral degree in the field of specialization is required for university professors.
- A master's degree in the field of specialization is required for university lecturers.
- Licences or professional certification may be required for professors teaching future practitioners in certain professionally regulated fields, such as medicine, engineering, architecture, psychology or law.
- University professors who are also practitioners in their field of specialization must have the appropriate licences or certification.
- Progression to senior positions within a department, faculty or university is possible with experience.
- College and other vocational instructors
- Other instructors
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants
Classification Structure - 4