1431 Accounting and related clerksAccounting and related clerks calculate, prepare and process bills, invoices, accounts payable and receivable, budgets and other financial records according to established procedures. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
Example Titlesaccounting clerk
accounts payable clerk
accounts receivable clerk
income tax return preparer
View all titles
Accounting and related clerks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Calculate, prepare and issue documents related to accounts such as bills, invoices, inventory reports, account statements and other financial statements using computerized and manual systems
- Code, total, batch, enter, verify and reconcile transactions such as accounts payable and receivable, payroll, purchase orders, cheques, invoices, cheque requisitions, and bank statements in a ledger or computer system
- Compile budget data and documents based on estimated revenues and expenses and previous budgets
- Prepare period or cost statements or reports
- Calculate costs of materials, overhead and other expenses based on estimates, quotations, and price lists
- Respond to customer inquiries, maintain good customer relations and solve problems
- Perform related clerical duties, such as word processing, maintaining filing and record systems, faxing and photocopying.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of college or other courses certified by the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada, Canadian Securities Institute or Canadian Bookkeepers Association may be required.
- Some accounting clerks must be bondable.
- Progression to supervisory or skilled financial occupations, such as accounts payable supervisor, bookkeeper or office manager is possible with additional training and experience.
- Accounting technicians and bookkeepers
- Banking, insurance and other financial clerks
- Financial auditors and accountants
- Payroll clerks
- Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers
Classification Structure - 1