1242 Legal administrative assistantsLegal administrative assistants perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in law offices, legal departments of large firms, real estate companies, land title offices, municipal, provincial and federal courts and government.
Example Titlesadministrative assistant – legal
corporate law legal assistant
legal assistant – criminal law
litigation legal assistant
real estate secretary
View all titles
Legal administrative assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and key in correspondence and legal documents, such as deeds, wills, affidavits and briefs, from handwritten copy, shorthand and machine dictation using computers
- Review and proofread documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures and grammatical usage
- Schedule appointments, meetings and conferences for employer
- Set up and maintain filing systems, utilizing knowledge of legal records and procedures and frequently controlling confidential materials and documents
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments or organizations
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in the use of current software
- May attend court, meetings or conferences to take notes, minutes and dictation
- May perform other general office work as required including preparing financial statements.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college or other program for secretaries or legal secretaries is usually required.
- By-law clerks
1452 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks
- Court recorders
1251 Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
- Paralegal and related occupations
Classification Structure - 1