0423 Managers in social, community and correctional servicesThis unit group includes managers who plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the programs and activities of social service and community agencies, correctional institutions, counselling departments, labour organizations, professional associations, political parties and non-governmental organizations.
Example Titlesadministrator, child welfare services
area manager, family services
children's aid society director
correctional institution director
detention centre director
director, community centre
director, correctional treatment and training
environmental group director
income maintenance director
labour organization manager
membership services manager
political organization manager
regional administrator, social services
social assistance director
social work director
trade association manager
volunteer services director
View all titles
Managers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of social and community service programs such as income maintenance, children's aid and emergency housing services
- Manage the operations and activities of social and community centres, correctional facilities and detention centres
- Administer the programs of non-governmental organizations involved with social issues such as health care, human rights, consumer protection, international development and environmental protection
- Administer programs of membership organizations such as political parties, labour organizations, business and professional associations
- Establish administrative procedures to meet objectives set by board of directors or senior management
- Direct and advise professional and non-professional staff delivering services and programs to the general public and to the organization or association membership
- Plan, administer and control budgets for programs, equipment and support services
- Represent their respective organizations for the purpose of government liaison and media relations
- Participate in policy development by preparing reports and briefs for management committees and working groups
- Hire and provide training for professional and non-professional staff.
- Managers in social, community and correctional services usually require a master's degree in a social science or administrative discipline
Several years of experience in a related occupation, such as a community and social service worker, social or health policy researcher, consultant or program officer, probation or parole officer, or social worker.
- Managers of associations and membership organizations require extensive experience in a related occupation, trade or industry.
- Progression to senior management positions in social, community and correctional services is possible with additional training and experience.
- Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration
- Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations
Classification Structure - 0