0411 Government managers – health and social policy development and program administrationGovernment managers in this unit group plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the development and administration of health care policies, social policies and related programs designed to protect and promote the health and social welfare of individuals and communities. These managers are employed by government departments and agencies.
Example Titlescity medical officer of health – government services
director, health information and promotion – government services
director, immigration and settlement – government services
health program operations manager – government services
housing policy and development director – government services
social services director – government services
social services planning manager – government services
View all titles
Government managers in health and social policy development and program administration perform some or all of the following duties:
- Participate in the development of health or social policies by providing advice to senior government managers
- Organize departmental unit and establish procedures to meet departmental objectives set by senior management
- Direct and advise health or social policy researchers, consultants or program officers who conduct research, prepare documents or administer programs for individuals and communities in areas such as health and social services, employment and immigration, labour or housing
- Plan, administer and control budgets for research and administration, support services and equipment and supplies
- Organize and direct committees and working groups to plan, manage or evaluate health and social services projects and programs
- Interview, hire and provide training for staff.
Employment requirementsGovernment managers in health policy development and program administrationA bachelor's degree or college diploma in health science, hospital administration or public administration or a bachelor's degree in social science is required.A graduate degree in a health, social science or an administrative discipline may be required.Several years of experience as a health or social policy researcher, consultant or program officer are usually required.For some government managers in health policy development and program administration, certification in the relevant health profession is required. For example, city medical officers of health must be physicians.Government managers in social policy development and program administrationA bachelor's degree or a college diploma in a social science discipline, such as sociology or economics, or an administrative discipline, such as public administration, is required.A graduate degree in a social science or an administrative discipline may be required.Several years of experience as a social policy researcher, consultant or program officer are usually required.
- Progression to senior management positions in the health and social policy fields is possible with experience.
- Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration
- Government managers - education policy development and program administration
- Managers in health care
- Managers in social, community and correctional services
- Other managers in public administration
- Program managers in government
416 Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers
- Senior government managers and officials
Classification Structure - 0