7621 Public Works and Maintenance Labourers
Public works and maintenance labourers perform a variety of labouring activities to maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and similar areas.
parking meter collector
public works labourer
road maintenance worker
sewer maintenance worker
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to clean and maintain sidewalks, streets, roads and public grounds of municipalities and other areas as members of crews
- Form perception to load and unload trucks with supplies and equipment and to collect and load refuse on garbage trucks
- Motor co-ordination to shovel cement and other materials into cement mixers, to spread concrete and asphalt on road surfaces using shovels, rakes and hand tampers, and to perform other activities to assist in the maintenance and repair of roads
- Finger dexterity to collect money from coin boxes of parking meters along established routes
- Manual dexterity to spread sand and salt on sidewalks for snow and ice control; to dig ditches and trenches using shovels and other hand tools; to cut trees, trim branches, rake leaves, apply fertilizers and insecticides by hand; and to water public lawns, trees and shrubs
- Methodical interest in comparing to sweep debris and shovel snow from streets, building grounds and other areas; and in loading snow and debris into carts or trucks
- Objective interest in operating jackhammers and drills to break up pavement and power mowers and cutters to cut lawns and grass along roadsides; may operate mobile sidewalk-cleaning equipment
- Innovative interest in assisting with routine maintenance and repair of equipment; in assisting equipment operators to secure attachments to equipment and trucks, and in assisting skilled tradespersons such as carpenters, plumbers and mechanics
3Near and far vision
4Other body positions
2Multiple limb co-ordination
H1*Dangerous chemical substances
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
- Several weeks of on-the-job training are provided.
Municipal, provincial and federal government public works departments
Private contractors under contract to governments
Progression to supervisory positions or to public works maintenance equipment operator positions is possible with experience.
Construction labourers (in 7611 Construction Trades Helpers and Labourers)
Park maintenance labourer (in 8612 Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance Labourers)
Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators (7422)
Railway and Motor Transport Labourers (7622)
* Environmental Conditions
For some occupations in this group, H
azards H1 (Dangerous chemical substances) and D
iscomforts D1 (Noise), D2 (Vibration), D3 (Odours) and D4 (Non-toxic dusts) may also apply.