7265.2 Welding, Brazing and Soldering Machine Operators
This group includes machine operators who operate previously set up production welding, brazing and soldering equipment.
brazing machine operator
brazing machine setter
laser welding operator
soldering machine operator
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to understand specifications, work orders, diagrams and layouts and operate previously set up welding, brazing and soldering equipment
- Spatial and form perception and manual dexterity to mount and centre parts in jaws of holding clamps, align and clamp parts together, and to position them in fixtures, jigs and vises, to set welding machine controls according to specifications, and operate machines using console controls
- Objective interest in operating previously set up welding machines such as spot, butt and seam resistance, gas- and arc- welding machines, and previously set-up brazing and soldering machines to bond metal parts and to fill holes, indentations and seams of metal articles with solder; and in starting up, shutting down, adjusting and monitoring robotic welding production lines
- Methodical interest in comparing machine settings and adjusting welding heads and tooling to job specifications, to select torch tips, braze alloy and flux according to type and thickness of metal as specified by work orders; may adjust welding heads and tooling according to work specifications
- Innovative interest in repairing and fabricating metal parts, and in assisting with the maintenance and repair of welding, brazing and soldering equipment
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
H6Flying particles, falling objects
H7Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Some secondary school education is required.
- Several months of on-the-job training are usually provided.
- Experience as a machine operator helper may be required.
- Experience with robotics may be required.
Manufacturers of structural steel and platework, boilers, heavy machinery, aircraft, ships, and other metal products
Supervisors of machine operators in this group (in 7214 Contractors and Supervisors, Metal Forming, Shaping and Erecting Trades)
Underwater welders (in 7382 Commercial Divers)
Wave soldering machine operators (in 9483 Electronics Assemblers, Fabricators, Inspectors and Testers)
Welding inspectors (in 2261 Nondestructive Testers and Inspectors)
Welding technologists (in 2212 Geological and Mineral Technologists and Technicians)