7212 Contractors and Supervisors, Electrical Trades and Telecommunications Occupations
Contractors in this group include telecommunications and electrical trade contractors who own and operate their own businesses. Supervisors in this group direct and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following groups: Electricians (7241), Industrial Electricians (7242), Power System Electricians (7243), Electrical Power Line and Cable Workers (7244), Telecommunications Line and Cable Workers (7245), Telecommunications Installation and Repair Workers (7246) and Cable Television Service and Maintenance Technicians (7247).
foreman/woman, cablevision technicians
foreman/woman, construction electricians
foreman/woman, industrial electricians
foreman/woman, power line and cable workers
foreman/woman, power system electricians
foreman/woman, telecommunications installation and repair workers
supervisor, cable maintenance and repair
supervisor, plant electricians
supervisor, residential electricians
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate activities with other subcontractors and departments, and to recommend measures for improved productivity; may manage the operations of own company
- Verbal ability to recommend personnel actions, such as hirings and promotions, and to train and arrange for training of workers
- Clerical perception to prepare progress reports and requisition materials and supplies
- Directive interest in supervising the activities of workers who install, repair and maintain electrical wiring, fixtures and control devices, power systems, telecommunication systems and cablevision systems; and in ensuring that standards for safe working conditions are observed; may supervise activities of related workers
- Innovative interest in co-ordinating and scheduling the activities of workers; and in resolving problems; may co-ordinate and schedule activities of apprentices, helpers and labourers
- Objective interest in understanding the functioning of equipment and machinery and the production procedures used in electrical trades and telecommunications
3Near and far vision
3Sitting, standing, walking
L1Regulated inside climate
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a qualified tradesperson in a relevant trade are required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade is required.
For workplaces/employers, refer to individual groups supervised
There is some mobility among jobs within a specific trade; however, there is little or no intertrade mobility.