7211 Supervisors, Machinists and Related Occupations
Supervisors in this group direct and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following groups: Machinists and Machining and Tooling Inspectors (7231), Tool and Die Makers (7232) and Machining Tool Operators (9511).
foreman/woman, automotive machine shop
foreman/woman, maintenance machine shop
foreman/woman, tool and die makers
supervisor, machine shop
supervisor, metal mould and metal patternmakers
supervisor, tool and die inspectors
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate activities with other departments, and to recommend measures for improved productivity
- Verbal ability to recommend personnel actions, such as hirings and promotions, and to train and arrange for training of workers
- Clerical perception to prepare production and other reports and to requisition materials and supplies
- Directive interest in supervising activities of workers who machine metal into parts, products, tools and dies and moulds with precise dimensions; and in ensuring that standards for safe working conditions are observed; may also supervise activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers
- Innovative interest in co-ordinating and scheduling the activities of workers; and in resolving work problems
- Objective interest in setting up machines and equipment when required; and in writing programs for computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools as required
3Near and far vision
3Sitting, standing, walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a qualified machinist or tool and die maker are required.
- Trade certification in machining or tool and die making is required.
Metal products manufacturing companies
CAD/CAM and CMM programmers (in 2233 Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Technicians and Technologists)
Contractors and Supervisors, Metal Forming, Shaping and Erecting Trades (7214)