6681.1 Dry Cleaning and Laundry Machine Operators
Dry cleaning and laundry machine operators operate machines to dry-clean and launder garments and other articles.
cleaning machine operator
dyer, laundry and dry cleaning
laundry machine operator
machine operator, laundry and dry cleaning
sprayer, leather or suede
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to acquire and apply knowledge of fabrics and techniques of dry cleaning and stain removal
- Manual dexterity to load and unload machines, rub articles with brushes and sponges, and use steam guns and air hoses to remove stains
- Objective interest in operating machines to dry-clean dresses, suits, coats, sweaters and other garments, draperies, cushion covers and other articles, and to use washing machines and dryers to clean and dry garments, sheets, blankets, towels and other articles
- Methodical interest in comparing to dry-clean and launder garments and household articles
- Directive interest in using specialized machines to clean and blow-dry fur garments, and to dry-clean, dye, spray, re-oil and re-buff suede and leather garments
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H1Dangerous chemical substances
- Some secondary school education is required.
- Four to eight weeks of on-the-job training are usually provided.
- Dry cleaning and laundry machine operators may require experience as inspectors or assemblers.
- Suede, leather and fur cleaners may require experience as dry cleaning or laundry machine operators.
Dry cleaning and laundry establishments
Fur cleaning establishments
Laundries of hotels, hospitals and other institutions
Progression to supervisory dry cleaning and laundry occupations is possible with additional training and experience.
Alterers (in 7342 Tailors, Dressmakers, Furriers and Milliners)
Dry Cleaning and Laundry Supervisors (6214)
Dry cleaning service managers (in 0651 Other Services Managers)
Ironing, Pressing and Finishing Occupations (6682)