Companions provide elderly and convalescent clients with companionship and personal care in residential and institutional settings.
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning and verbal ability to provide elderly and convalescent clients with companionship and personal care in clients' homes
- Social interest in serving – assisting clients by providing aid with walking, bathing and other aspects of personal hygiene
- Methodical interest in copying to carry out activities under general direction of home-care agency supervisor or family members
- Objective interest in handling to perform various activities related to the provision of personal care
4Other body positions
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- Child-care or home management experience may be required.
- First aid certification may be required.
There is mobility among the occupations in the 6471 group.
Babysitters, Nannies and Parents' Helpers (6474)
Housekeepers who are house cleaners (in 6661 Light Duty Cleaners)
* Environmental Conditions
For some occupations in this group, L
ocation L3 (Outside) may also apply.