6464 Occupations Unique to the Armed Forces
This group includes personnel in occupations unique to the armed forces such as artillery soldiers, infantry soldiers, air defence technicians and naval electronics technicians who provide collective defence measures to protect Canadian waters, land, airspace and other interests.
air defence technician
armoured vehicle crewmember
naval weapons technician
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning and verbal ability to provide defence measures to protect Canadian waters, land, airspace and other interests, as well as to engage in peacekeeping operations and enforce cease-fire agreements
- Spatial and form perception to visualize the relative positions of equipment parts and components, and to detect equipment malfunctions
- Motor co-ordination and finger and manual dexterity to use various military combat equipment and defence systems
- Methodical interest in analyzing information to provide aid in emergency situations such as civil disorder, natural disasters and major accidents, as well as to perform administrative and guard duties
- Objective interest in controlling armoured vehicles, artillery, hand-held weapons and other military combat and defence equipment
- Social interest in speaking – signalling to engage in drills and other training in preparation for peacekeeping, combat and natural disaster relief duties
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Three months of basic military training are provided.
- Specialized training in the operation and maintenance of military equipment and systems is provided.
Progression to commissioned officer occupations is possible with additional training and experience.
Commissioned Officers, Armed Forces (0643)
Occupations in the armed forces for which there are civilian counterparts are classified with those occupations. For example:
Military police officers (in 6261 Police Officers (Except Commissioned))
Musicians – military (in 5133 Musicians and Singers)
Vehicle technicians – military (in 7321 Automotive Services Technicians, Truck Mechanics and Mechanical Repairers)
Personnel in this group are assigned to specific operations related to reconnaissance, peacekeeping, disaster relief and combat.
*Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions
For occupations in this group, all Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions factors and levels may apply. All soldiers must be prepared in case of war or other military action.