6463.2 By-law Enforcement Officers
By-law enforcement officers enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments.
by-law enforcement officer
property standards inspector
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to acquire knowledge of by-laws and regulations
- Verbal ability to understand the technical language of by-laws and regulations, and to communicate information effectively
- Methodical interest in compiling information to investigate complaints
- Directive interest in enforcing municipal and provincial regulations
- Social interest in speaking to issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants
3Near and far vision
3Sitting, standing, walking
L1Regulated inside climate
L4In a vehicle or cab
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program or courses in law and security or other related field
experience in a related administrative or regulatory occupation is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
Municipal and provincial government agencies
Engineering Inspectors and Regulatory Officers (2262)
Immigration, Employment Insurance and Revenue Officers (1228)
Inspectors in Public and Environmental Health and Occupational Health and Safety (2263)
Other Protective Service Occupations (6465)
Police Officers (Except Commissioned) (6261)
Sheriffs and Bailiffs (6461)
By-lay enforcement officers may specialize in the enforcement of one specific by-law.