Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this group.
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to prepare dough for pies, bread and rolls and sweet goods, and batters for muffins, cookies, cakes, icing and frostings according to recipes and special customer orders
- Verbal and numerical ability to purchase baking supplies
- Spatial perception to visualize and prepare three-dimensional decorating forms for cakes and other baked goods
- Form perception to make sure that baked and confectionery goods conform to standards
- Motor co-ordination and finger dexterity to frost and decorate cakes and other baked goods
- Manual dexterity to mix ingredients by hand, measure and weigh ingredients, knead and roll dough, and use various baking utensils
- Methodical interest in compiling information to record production data and draw up production schedules to determine type and quantity of goods to produce; and to ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Objective interest in controlling machinery and equipment to mix and bake doughs and batters
- Directive interest in hiring, training and supervising staff; may oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
H7Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship program for bakers
completion of a college or other program for bakers is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be provided.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red seal) is also available to qualified bakers.
Hospitals and other institutions
Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
Baking machine operators (in 9461 Process Control and Machine Operators, Food and Beverage Processing)
Pastry chefs (in 6241 Chefs)