6241.3 Chefs and Specialist Chefs
Chefs and specialist chefs prepare and cook meals and specialty foods. They also plan and supervise cooking activities.
chef de cuisine
chef de partie
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to acquire and use techniques for planning menus and ordering, storing, preparing and cooking foods
- Verbal ability to instruct cooks in the preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food
- Numerical ability to estimate food requirements and costs; may requisition food and kitchen supplies
- Form perception to examine foods for freshness and proper cooking
- Motor co-ordination and finger dexterity to cut, decorate and carve food, and to work with kitchen utensils
- Manual dexterity to slice and disjoint meat and poultry, mix ingredients, portion foods, knead and stretch dough, and stir soups and sauces
- Methodical interest in analyzing information on menus, food arrangements and cooking methods; may plan menus
- Directive interest in supervising cooks and other kitchen staff
- Objective interest in precision working to prepare and cook complete meals, banquets and specialty foods such as pastries, sauces, soups, salads, vegetables and meat, poultry and fish dishes, and to create decorative food displays
2Standing and/or walking
1Upper limb co-ordination
L1Regulated inside climate
H3Equipment, machinery, tools
H7Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Cook's trade certification, which is available in all provinces and territories, or equivalent credentials, training and experience, are required.
- Interprovincial trade certification (Red Seal) for cooks is also available to qualified chefs.
- Specialist chefs and chefs usually require several years of experience in commercial food preparation.
Central food commissaries
Clubs and similar establishments
Hospitals and other health care institutions
There is some mobility among the various types of chefs in the 6241 group.
Red Seal trade certification allows for interprovincial mobility.
Food Counter Attendants, Kitchen Helpers and Related Occupations (6641)
Restaurant and Food Service Managers (0631)