6221 Technical Sales Specialists – Wholesale Trade
Technical sales specialists, wholesale trade, sell a range of technical goods and services such as scientific and industrial products, electricity, telecommunications services and computer services to governments and commercial and industrial establishments in domestic and international localities. Technical sales specialists who are supervisors are included in this group.
aircraft sales representative
communication equipment sales representative
construction equipment sales representative
electricity sales representative
heavy equipment sales representative
industrial supplies sales representative
medical instruments sales agent
sales engineer, technical support
software sales representative
technical sales representative
technical sales supervisor
technical support specialist
Occupations in this group are characterized by the following aptitudes, interests and worker functions as they relate to main duties:
- General learning ability to assess clients' needs and resources, and to recommend the appropriate goods and services
- Verbal ability to develop reports and proposals as part of sales presentations that illustrate the benefits of goods and services; may conduct sales transactions through Internet based electronic commerce
- Numerical ability to estimate costs of installing and maintaining equipment and service
- Spatial and form perception to provide input for product design where goods and services must be tailored to meet clients' needs
- Clerical perception to prepare and administer sales contracts
- Objective interest in troubleshooting technical problems related to equipment; may train customers' staff in the operation and maintenance of equipment
- Social interest in persuading to promote sales to existing clients; may supervise the activities of other technical sales specialists
- Innovative interest in analyzing information to identify and solicit potential clients, and to consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and provide ongoing support
L1Regulated inside climate
- A university degree or college diploma in a program related to the product or service is usually required.
- Experience in sales or in a technical occupation related to the product or service may be required.
- Fluency in a specific foreign language, and/or foreign work or travel experience may be required for technical sales specialists seeking employment with companies that import or export technical goods or services.
- Technical sales supervisors require experience as a technical sales specialist.
Computer service firms
Industrial equipment manufacturing companies
Extensive company training programs for technical sales specialists may be provided by employers.
Progression to sales management positions is possible with additional training or experience.
Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks (6421)
Sales, Marketing and Advertising Managers (0611)
Sales Representatives – Wholesale Trade (Non-Technical) (6411)
Technical sales specialists usually specialize in a particular line of goods or services.